I raise birds… Mainly quail, but with a few turkeys, geese, chickens, and ducks thrown in. I have come across some tips over time, some of them mine, some stolen from others. Here are a few of my favorite unconventional or $ saving ideas.
- To prevent water dish drownings from day old chicks, add rocks to water dishes
- Instead of grinding quail food for the babies, use the leftover crumbs from the adult quail feeders….I feel like it is free food!
- If you have a power outage, and hence no heat lamps, fill gallon jugs with warm water for chicks to huddle against.
- Make easy homemade no-waste feeders from tupperware container with holes cut into the sides. Leave enough room to fit their heads in, but not enough for them to scratch the food everywhere.
- If your chicks run out of water (which they shouldn’t-but sometimes it happens) fill up waterers with WARM water, to prevent them from getting chilled as they all rush into the water source.
- Old fish tanks and water troughs make excellent brooders
- Turkey poults are DUMB make sure the heat source is VERY close…. they can freeze to death a foot from the lights range.
- Goslings love grass clippings. Make them happy by adding it to their diet…plus its free food….I like free food….
- You must hatch babies in groups. A single healthy baby will not survive on its own
- Wash hands after caring for your babies, and refrain from kissing them! I have to keep reminding the kids of this one! Nobody wants salmonella poisoning but it is so easy to forget when they are soooo cute!
I hope you learned a tidbit that will help you on your own homestead journey! Please leave a comment of your own tips for me and others!